Wednesday, May 1, 2013

5th Annual Penguin Race

Waterwerks Kayak Club and Alberta Slalom Canoe Kayak hosted the 5th Annual Penguin Race last Saturday. It was a great success with almost 40 paddlers!

For the past 5 years there has been a competition for best dressed penguin. This year I decided to put a costume together and I ended up coming in 3rd!



I had wrapped up teaching an intermediate coarse in the pool and the entire class came out to watch! One of my students was feeling extra ambitious and decide to get onto the water.  He did great, but he unfortunately leaned upstream while coming out of an Eddie where the current caught his edge and he flipped over. He truly experienced the true meaning of the penguin race where he had fun while being a little bit chilly.

Photo Courtesy of Dave Winter

The race was followed by an amazing lunch that was put together by Coleen MacDonald and Emil Ohler and many other dedicated Waterwerks volunteers. I had a great time and I am looking forward to next year. Thank you to all of the volunteers that made the event a great success!

No comments:

Post a Comment